Pimples are never welcome and while we often know of ways to deal with them when they occur on the face, pimples on arms are another story together. Pimples occur when the skin pores become clogged because of oil or dead skin or bacteria and cause red bumps to occur on the skin. These bumps can be pus-filled and painful at times. There are several causes that lead to the problem. Scroll down to know them all!
Causes of pimples on arms
There are three main causes of pimples on arms, including:
Sweating under the gym clothes which are not fully breathable can cause a mix of sweat oil and dead skin to mix and become a breeding ground for acne.
These look like small rough bumps that have a light pink ring around them. These are mostly genetic in nature and are caused because of excess Keratin build up in the hair follicles. Keratosis pilaris cannot be treated but managed successfully using moisturising creams and steroid creams.
These are very visible red bumps on the skin and they look a lot like face pumps. It is caused by swelling in the hair follicles.
These are mainly stress and allergic reactions and cause itchy red bumps on the skin. They usually go away on their own and not need any specific treatment.
Wearing tight fitting clothing that rub against your arms repeatedly can cause acne to form on skin.
These are bacterial infections caused when come in skin to skin contact with a person suffering from staphylococcus bacteria. This infection needs medical treatment.
Apart from these hormonal imbalance and improper skin hygiene also cause pimples on arms.
How to get rid of pimples on arms?
Here are some simple steps to avoid arm pimples and get rid of them
1. If you get a pimple, don’t touch it. Touching them can cause spread of the infection
2. Exfoliate your skin as it helps increase skin cell turnover
3. Deeper exfoliation treatments like dermabrasion and chemical peels are suitable for the treatment of Keratosis pilaris
4. When going out make sure you wear sunscreen. Avoid sun exposures
5. Use OTC creams containing salicylic acid or benzol peroxide on the pimple but avoid using on the entire screen
6. Don’t pop or scratch the pimple at it can cause bleeding and scarring.
7. Keep your skin clean after every physical activity
8. Don’t scrub your skin too hard
9. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. Dry skin causes pore clogging and it becomes a vicious cycle.
Pimples on arms can be uncomfortable. If the reaction spreads, it is best to consult your dermatologist. In order to prevent pimples and acne take good care of your arms and make arm care a part of your daily skincare and your arms will thank you in long term!