Face masks are nothing new in the beauty realm! You know the drill – smear a creamy or gel-based concoction on your skin, then exfoliate it to get glowing skin. They are the best at-home treatments that purify your skin and help you get rid of the gunk sitting on your face because of increased pollution and whatnot. Did you know that green tea is one of the best ingredients to include in your skincare regimen?
When someone mentions green tea, you think of a warm cup of soothing tea. However, its benefits are not limited to health! It offers a plethora of skincare benefits that instantly give you clear and healthy skin. When used topically, it can work wonders for your skin due to its skin-loving properties. One way to include this ingredient in your skincare regimen is by using green tea cleansing mask.
Benefits of green tea for your skin
Health Shots got in touch with Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist and Dermato Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics, to understand how you can include green tea cleansing mask in your skincare routine.
Explaining the benefits of green tea for your skin, Dr Kapoor says, “It contains active compounds and antioxidants such as polyphenols and catechins, caffeine, tannins, vitamins A, B2, and E, and epigallocatechin-3-gallate which provide all-round protection for the skin. It is one of the few natural products that suits almost all skin types and can be used in the skincare routine daily.”
Some of the benefits listed by the expert include:
- Clams down skin inflammation, which helps reduce the effects of medical skin conditions such as psoriasis, dermatitis, rosacea, etc.
- Prevents and treats acne, including blackheads, whiteheads and clears the skin
- Exfoliation gently removes dead skin cells and improves the production of new skin cells.
- Removes the excess oil and dirt from the skin and controls sebum production.
- Helps clear clogged pores.
- Fights the signs of premature ageing, such as lines and wrinkles by preventing free radical damage and rejuvenating skin elasticity.
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Reverses sun damage and fading dark spots
- Regular use makes the skin soft and supple and glowing
Green tea cleansing mask for beautiful skin
As per the dermatologist, green tea face mask helps to cleanse the skin and remove toxins. Regular use can help make your skin brighter, youthful, glowing and reduce dullness.
Check out this simple green tea mask recipe suggested by Dr Kapoor:
- 1 used green tea bag or 1 tablespoon of green tea powder
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- A pinch of turmeric
- Seep the tea bag in hot water for about 10 minutes (or you can use the used bag too)
- Remove the tea leaves
- If you are using green tea powder, take it in a clean bowl and add honey, baking soda and turmeric and blend well.
How to apply?
1. Clean your face and pat dry
2. Apply the mask on your face avoiding the hairline and area around the eyes
3. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes
4. Gently exfoliate and wash with tepid water
5. Pat dry the skin
A word of caution: People with dry skin should avoid using baking soda. Also, ensure that you store the green tea in a clean and dry place away from too much sunlight, advises the expert.